in the province of Catania, is located in an important agricultural
area between a flank of the Etna volcano and the Simeto river. It
is a city of historical interest as well, as show many archaeological
relics and remnants of ancient settlements discovered in its territory.
Castle – The city has a rich cultural patrimony drawing thousands
of visitors every year. Among these is the Castle, founded by the
noble Norman Roger I in 1070. It consists of a rectangular building
complete with barrel-vaulted rooms. It has an imposing and austere
look and is divided into several floors; the Chapel of the Countess
Adelasio, on the second floor, is remarkable.
houses three museums. The Museo Etnoantropologico (ethno-anthropological
museum) displays artefacts by local artisans. The Regional Archaeological
Museum, arranged on three floors, traces the history of this area
(and others in the Eastern Sicily) through a rich array of relics
ranging in date from the Neolithic to the Byzantine domination.
Particularly worth-mentioning at the second floor rooms, are a terracotta
bust of the 5th century BC portraying a Sicilian Goddess recovered
from the Primosole district, a clay female bust and a clay statue
depicting Eros and Psyche of the same century. On the third floor
is an art-gallery displaying paintings by famous artists such as
Zoppo di Gangi, Filippo Paladino and Vito D’Anna, glass paintings,
wood, alabaster and bronze sculptures, other works of contemporary
Mother Church – Near the Castle stands the Mother Church,
dedicated to the Virgin of the Assumption, built in different epochs.
The original structure dates back to the 16th century, the cupola
to the 18th century, the campanile to the early 1900’s, although
its construction was interrupted and resumed several times. The
interior has a latin-cross plan and three naves ornamented with
works of art such as a wooden polyptych depicting the Eternal life,
the Holy Family, the Incredulity of Saint Thomas and the Saints.
Several chapels inside the church are particularly appreciated by
visitors, notably the Chapels of the Blessed Sacrament and of the
di Santa Lucia – It is a major religious monument, largely
rebuilt after the earthquake in 1693. It has an imposing front elevation
framed by pilaster strips and Corinthian capitals. The elliptical
interior contains several works of art like frescoes by Sozzi portraying
the “Virgin and Saint Carlo Borromeo” and “The
death of Saint Benedict”.
Churches – Among them worth-mentioning are the Medieval Saint
John the Evangelist’s, the 1500’s S. Antonio Abate’s
and the Maria del Rosario’s churches.
Surroundings – The surrounding area of Adrano is home to some
interesting sites. The remnants of an antique city were discovered
at the area of Mendolito. Relics and necropolises of the 8th-7th
century BC were brought to light along with tholos tombs and other
necropolises with Sikel inscriptions. Most of the relics are displayed
at Siracusa’s and Adrano’s Archaeological Museums. A
small bronze statue portraying a naked athlete and known as the
“Ephebe of Adrano” dating from around 460 BC was discovered
at the Polichello area.
surroundings also host spots of both naturalistic and architectonic
interest. The Simeto River’s area, stretching around Sicily’s
longest river, offers a combination of falls, gorges, rapids and
lava spews. Some constructions along the course of the river is
worth-mentioning, such as the “Ponte dei Saraceni” (Saracens’
Bridge) first erected under the Roman, and ultimately built in the
14th century. This features four aches, two of which are ogival.
Another, more recent structure is Biscari’s aqueduct bridge,
built in the second half of the 18th century by the Prince of Biscari
in order to irrigate the fields of his estate (of Aragona). It is
composed of a bridge with several arches and of a second bridge
with five ogival arches crossing the river.
Solare Eurelios (Eurelios Solar Plant) – After a period of
experimentation, the plant, able to generate 1MW of Solar Power,
earliest human settlements in to-day’s Adrano area date back
to the Neolithic age, roughly 5,000-4000 years BC. These were mainly
concentrated in the Simeto valley. Remains of that epoch is a tomb
discovered at the Fontanazza area. Other tombs of Prehistoric origin
were unearthed in its vicinity.
the 5th century BC the area was taken by the Greek Syracusans led
by the tyrant Dionysius, willing to expand their dominions. The
settlement grew around a temple dedicated to the God of Fire Adranos,
Hephaistos for the Greek.
settlement has been discovered thanks to recent excavations that
have brought to light a section of the outer walls, houses with
rooms and courtyard, and necropolises scattered outside the city
walls. The city was called “Adranon”, renowned for the
263 BC, it was taken by the Romans and many centuries later by the