di Catania has a population of about 28,000 and is located on a
flat land 340m a.s.l. The city name derives from “Prachi”,
standing for “country land”. Indeed the city grew on
a hamlet belonging to the Princes of Valguarnera surrounded by farming
land. In 1664 it was bought by the Curia Regis. In 1669 it passed
to the Lord Girolamo Gravina who gave it its own name. The additional
“di Catania” was adopted since 1862 to differentiate
it from another Gravina located in the province of Bari, Apulia.
The city is divided into several quarters, namely Fasano, Gravina
Centro and San Paolo.
The city has various sites of architectural
and historical interest. The Mother Church, dedicated to Sant’Antonio
da Padova, was erected in the 18th century in a Baroque style. Its
façade is graced with an imposing campanile. It contains
several precious paintings of the 17th century. The city-library
and the nice Villa Comunale (public gardens), are also worth-visiting.
Zootechnics, wineries and several textile companies are major economic
resources. The farming, boasting outstanding outputs of citrus fruits,
olives, grape and almonds, is as much important.
Castel Di Judica
Castiglione Di Sicilia
Fiumefreddo Di Sicilia
Gravina Di Catania
Militello Val Di Catania
Motta Santa Anastasia
San Giovanni La Punta
San Michele Di Ganzaria
San Pietro Clarenza
Sant'agata Li Battiati
Santa Maria Di Licodia
Aci San Filippo
Santa Maria La Scala
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in