is a farming town of some 4,000 inhabitants at 350 m of height.
In the past it was an important mining centre – notably sulphur
mining – and wheat producer, the former quickly declined since
the earliest 1900’s, as in the rest of Sicily.
city name is likely of Greek origin, standing for “to break
stones”, hence “stone quarry”, perhaps referring
to the soil features.
The Mother Church – Built
in a Corinthian style by architech Giuseppe Maggiore, from Mineo,
it was inaugurated and consecrated in 1865.
The Tower – The Torre del
Feudo was erected sometimes around 1700 on a rocky spur. It has
a rectangular design and retains its original outer walls. It is
about 10 km from town, taking the fork to Giumenta.
The Castle – The Castello
dei Gresti or Pietratagliata, carved out of the rock, rises majestically
above the valley, as to protect it.
territory includes the Diga Ogliastro, a protected natural oasis,
10 km away from town, home to some 2,000 birds of over 60 different
In 1503, following Vincenza Fessima
marriage to Giovanni Francesco Paternò d’Imbaccari,
the estate passed to the Paternò family. Granted “licentia
populandi” in 1810, they undertook the construction of the
new town, first annexed to Ramacca, and, since 1890, elevated to