is a tiny town of about 7,000 at 305 m a.s.l. It has several interesting
religious buildings among which is the Santuario della Madonna di
Valverde, dating back to the late-1600’s and annexed to the
Convent of the Augustinian Fathers, with a late-1400’s finely
decorated doorway. The interior, richly furnished with 1600’s
pieces, conserves the graves of the Riggios, a Catanian powerful
family of the 18th century.
the city surroundings, stands the Church of the Hermitage of St.
Anne, surrounded by splendid citrus-groves and vines and overlooking
a large stretch of the Ionian coast and several cities of the provinces.
The majolica flooring and the paintings of the Virgin with the Child
and of St. Anne, inside, are as much attractive.
final mention must go to the Church of Santa Maria della Misericordia.