is a town of nearly 14,000 located on the coast, only 6 m a.s.l.,
the Etna Volcano rising behind it.
Mother Church – Dedicated to Saint Peter, it contains interesting
1800’s paintings, such as those depicting the Immaculate Conception,
the Virgin of the Holy Rosary and St. Sebastian.
della Madonna della Lettera – It houses a painting of the
Virgin Mary, a 1700’s organ and a crypt concealing a marine
buildings and city surroundings – Riposto has several other
sites of historical and cultural interest, among which are the Villa
Comunale, the Palazzo Comunale, built in the 1920s, two defensive
towers and the sea village of Torre Archirafi, now a renowned tourism
city history is closely related to the neighboring Giarre’s.
Only in 1841, it became an autonomous municipality. Its name derives
from the tithes paid to the County of Mascali. The old village,
founded by colonists from Messina (hence the cult of the Madonna
della Lettera), grew around a number of storehouses, and in the
19th century become, thanks to its highly strategic location, an
important commercial port, notably for wine exportation.