511m a.s.l. and a population of nearly 7,000, is located in proximity
to the Iblean Mountains.
is a city of historical and cultural interest, hometown of writer
Luigi Capuana, to whom a library-museum is dedicated. The Biblioteca-Museo
houses an attractive reproduction of his study in the Milan home,
and collects all his manuscripts, his personal library, documents
tour of the town comprises several religious buildings. First is
the Chiesa di San Tommaso, with a latin-cross plan and ornamented
with 1700’s stuccoes and a splendid Deposition by Filippo
Paladini going back to the 17th century.
1700’s Collegiata di Santa Agrippina has an imposing look.
Dedicated to the patron saint, it contains beautiful stuccoes depicting
scenes from the Old Testament, a Nativity Crib comprised of various
1700’s figures, a 1500’s wooden statue representing
the titular saint and a crypt, which is a destination of pilgrims.
Chiesa di San Pietro was largely rebuilt after the 1693 earthquake.
Its façade features the statues of the Apostles. The interior,
designed in the shape of a latin cross, is divided into three naves.
It is adorned with various works of art, such as an altarpiece representing
the Flagellation of Christ and a 1700’s gilded statue of Santa
Chiesa di Santa Maria Maggiore has a basilical plan divided into
three naves. It contains several notable pieces such as a 1600’painting
of St. Peter, a 1500’s statue representing the Queen of the
Angels, a 1700’s wooden choirstall and a magnificent polychrome
city surrounding area is as much interesting, with several sites
of historical importance. In the San Cataldo district are the remains
of the Mongiliano fortress, of supposed Norman origin. At the fartherst
edge of town, bordering the city of Caltagirone, is the settlement
of Piano Casazze, hosting remains of an outer wall of Greek origin.
final mention must go to the necropolis of the Mulino della Badia,
going back to the 10th century BC.
city history and growth is notably related to the cult of the Palici
brothers that was professed in the Naftia (volcanic) lake district.
According to tradition these two brothers were sons of the earth.
relics discovered at the area, notably in the Rocchicella hill,
seem to attest to very ancient settlements. Some historian has identified
Mineo as the ancient Mene, founded by Sikel King Ducetius in the
5th century BC.